Donald Trump

Donald Trump Campaigning - USA Headlines

Support for U.S. President Donald Trump increased slightly among Republicans after he lashed out on Twitter over the weekend in a racially charged attack on four minority Democratic congresswomen, a Reuters/Ipsos public opinion poll shows. The national survey, conducted on Monday and Tuesday after Trump told the lawmakers they should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,” showed his net approval among members of his Republican Party rose by 5 percentage points to 72%, compared with a similar poll that ran last week. Trump, who is seeking re-election next year, has lost support, however, with Democrats and independents since the Sunday tweetstorm. Among independents, about three out of 10 said they approved of Trump, down from four out of 10 a week ago. His net approval – the percentage who approve minus the percentage who disapprove – dropped by 2 points among Democrats in the poll. Trump’s overall approval remained unchanged over the past week. According to the poll, 41% of the U.S. public said they approved of his performance in office, while 55% disapproved. The results showed strong Republican backing for Trump as the Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives passed a symbolic resolution on Tuesday, largely along party lines, to condemn him for “racist comments” against the four Democratic lawmakers. All four U.S. representatives – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan – are U.S. citizens. Three were bornHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - USA Today Politics News

In a remarkable political repudiation, the Democratic-led U.S. House voted to condemn President Donald Trump’s “racist comments” against four congresswomen of color, despite protestations by Trump’s Republican congressional allies and his own insistence he hasn’t “a racist bone in my body.” Two days after Trump tweeted that four Democratic freshmen should “go back” to their home countries — though all are citizens and three were born in the U.S.A. — Democrats muscled the resolution through the chamber by 240-187 over near-solid GOP opposition. The rebuke Tuesday night was an embarrassing one for Trump even though it carries no legal repercussions, but if anything his latest harangues should help him with his die-hard conservative base. Despite a lobbying effort by Trump and party leaders for a unified GOP front, four Republicans voted to condemn his remarks: moderate Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, Fred Upton of Michigan, Will Hurd of Texas and Susan Brooks of Indiana, who is retiring. Also backing the measure was Michigan’s independent Rep. Justin Amash, who left the GOP this month after becoming the party’s sole member of Congress to back a Trump impeachment inquiry. Democrats saved one of the day’s most passionate moments until near the end. “I know racism when I see it,” said Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, whose skull was fractured at the 1965 “Bloody Sunday” civil rights march in Selma, Alabama. “At the highest level of government, there’s no room for racism.” Before the showdown roll call, Trump characteristically plunged forward with time-testedHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley - USA News

Defiant in the face of widespread criticism, President Donald Trump renewed his belligerent call for four Democratic congresswomen of color to get out of the U.S. “right now,” cementing his position as the most willing U.S. leader in generations to stoke the discord that helped send him to the White House. Content to gamble that a sizable chunk of the electorate embraces his tweets that have been widely denounced as racist, the president made clear that he has no qualms about exploiting racial divisions once again. “It doesn’t concern me because many people agree with me,” Donald Trump said Monday at the White House. “A lot of people love it, by the way.” The episode served notice that Trump is willing to again rely on incendiary rhetoric on issues of race and immigration to preserve his political base in the leadup to the 2020 election. There was near unanimous condemnation from Democrats for Trump’s comments and a rumble of discontent from a subset of Republicans — but notably not from the party’s congressional leaders. Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, the party’s White House nominee in 2012 and now one of the president’s most vocal GOP critics, said Trump’s comments were “destructive, demeaning, and disunifying.” Far from backing down, Trump on Monday dug in on comments he had initially made a day earlier on Twitter that if lawmakers “hate our country,” they can go back to their “broken and crime-infested” countries. His remarks were directed at four congresswomen: Reps. IlhanHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump on D-Day in UK

Even before President Donald Trump’s racist tweets toward four Democratic congresswomen of color, Americans considered race relations in the United States to be generally bad — and said that Trump has been making them worse. On Sunday, Trump tweeted that the congresswomen should go back to the “broken and crime infested” countries they came from, despite the fact that all are American citizens and three were born in the U.S. Since his election, polling has shown Americans wary of Trump when it comes to race. But views of the president, racism in the U.S. and what defines American culture vary significantly based on political alignment. What polls show: RACE RELATIONS IN THE TRUMP ERA In January, a CBS News poll found nearly 6 in 10 Americans saying race relations in the country are generally bad. It wasn’t always that way. Positive views of the state of race relations in the country peaked with President Barack Obama’s inauguration, after which 66% of Americans said race relations were generally good in an April 2009 CBS News/New York Times poll. But views started to sour in 2014 following a number of high-profile shootings of black men by police officers and have continued to be more negative than positive in the Trump era. And Americans think Trump is contributing to the problem. A Pew Research Center poll earlier this year showed 56% of Americans saying Trump has made race relations worse. Americans gave similarly poor assessments of the president’s impact on specific racial, ethnicHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump Phone Call - US News

President Donald Trump abandoned his controversial bid to demand citizenship details from all respondents in next year’s census Thursday, instead directing federal agencies to try to compile the information using existing databases. “It is essential that we have a clear breakdown of the number of citizens and non-citizens that make up the United States population,” Donald Trump said at a Rose Garden announcement. He insisted he was “not backing down.” His reversal comes after the Supreme Court blocked his efforts to include the citizenship question and as the government had already begun the lengthy and expensive process of printing the census questionnaire without it. Trump had said last week that he was “very seriously” considering an executive order to try to force the question’s inclusion, even though such a move would surely have drawn an immediate legal challenge. But he said Thursday that he would instead be signing an executive order directing agencies to turn records over to the Department of Commerce. “We’re aiming to count everyone,” he said. The American Community Survey, which polls 3.5 million U.S. households every year, already includes questions about respondents’ citizenship. Critics have warned that including the citizenship question on the census would discourage participation, not only by those living in the country illegally but also by citizens who fear that participating will expose noncitizen family members to repercussions. Keeping the prospect of adding the question alive could in itself scare some away from participating, while showing Trump’s base that he is fighting forHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump and Kim Darroch - USA News - UK Headlines

Britain’s ambassador to the United States resigned Wednesday, just days after diplomatic cables criticizing President Donald Trump caused embarrassment to two countries that often celebrate having a “special relationship.” The resignation of Kim Darroch came after Trump lashed out at him on Twitter, describing the ambassador as “wacky” and a “pompous fool.” The criticism came after leaked documents revealed the envoy’s dim view of Trump’s administration, which he described as dysfunctional, inept and chaotic. “Since the leak of official documents … there has been a great deal of speculation surrounding my position and the duration of my remaining term as ambassador,” Darroch said in his resignation letter. “I want to put an end to that speculation. The current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like.” Prime Minister Theresa May said the resignation was “a matter of regret,” underlining that “good government depends on public servants being able to give full and frank advice.” Darroch had been set to retire at the end of the year. It’s unclear whether May will have time to replace Darroch before she leaves office later this month. Appointing ambassadors usually involves a formal civil service process with advertisements, applications and interviews, though Simon McDonald, head of Britain’s diplomatic service, said the post of ambassador to the U.S. wasn’t always chosen that way. “History shows that there are often bespoke procedures for filling the embassy in Washington, DC,” he said. Though the matter had been brewing forHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump USA Headlines News Today

President Donald Trump declared himself a champion of the environment Monday, working to boost his standing on climate change and pollution issues in advance of the 2020 election despite having launched some of the most sweeping rollbacks in air, water and other protections in decades. “We have only one America. We have only one planet,” Trump said in a White House address that featured some of his most extensive remarks on the environment to date. Trump’s previous conservation statements have included campaigning to all but eliminate the Environmental Protection Agency and tweets that mocked climate change science. His administration has focused on propping up the lagging U.S. coal industry and expanding a boom in U.S. gas and oil. “A strong economy is vital to maintaining a healthy environment,” Trump declared, saying he was balancing business-friendly oversight with public health and conservation protections. Cabinet members stood and applauded the president’s remarks and then went to the East Room podium, one-by-one, to attest to his dedication to conservation. The president also brought to the stage a Florida bait and tackle shop owner, Bruce Hrobak, who praised what he said were the administration’s efforts against water-fouling algae before pumping his fist in the air and declaring, “Trump 2020.” Former government regulators and environmental advocates said Trump’s promotion of its environmental record strained credulity, coming from an administration that has moved to weaken several landmark U.S. protections for air and water and roll back Obama-era efforts against climate change. “Trump’s environmental record is suchHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump - US Politics News

The Justice Department says it will press its search for legal grounds to force the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 census, hours after President Donald Trump said he is “very seriously” considering an executive order to get the question on the form. Trump said Friday his administration is exploring a number of legal options, but the Justice Department did not say exactly what options remain now that the Supreme Court has barred the question at least temporarily. The government has already begun the process of printing the census questionnaire without that question. The administration’s focus on asking broadly about citizenship for the first time since 1950 reflects the enormous political stakes and potential costs in the once-a-decade population count that determines the allocation of seats in the House of Representatives for the next 10 years and the distribution of some $675 billion in federal spending. It also reflects Trump’s interest in reshaping how congressional districts are drawn. “You need it for Congress, for districting,” he said Friday. “How many people are there? Are they citizens? Are they not citizens? You need it for many reasons.” Districts now are based on the total population. Some Republicans want them based on the population of eligible voters, a change that could disadvantage Democrats by excluding immigrants. The Supreme Court has left open the issue of whether districts based only on the population of eligible voters is constitutional. The Census Bureau’s own experts have said a citizenship question would discourage immigrantsHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump Message to Americans on July 4th Celebration - USA News Headlines

President Donald Trump celebrated the story of America as “the greatest political journey in human history” in a Fourth of July commemoration before a soggy but cheering crowd of spectators, many of them invited, on the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial. Supporters welcomed his tribute to the U.S. military while protesters assailed him for putting himself center stage on a holiday devoted to unity. As rain fell on him, Trump called on Americans to “stay true to our cause” during a program that adhered to patriotic themes and hailed an eclectic mix of history’s heroes, from the armed forces, space, civil rights and other endeavors of American life. He largely stuck to his script, avoiding diversions into his agenda or re-election campaign. But in one exception, he vowed, “Very soon, we will plant the American flag on Mars,” actually a distant goal not likely to be achieved until late in the 2020s if even then. A late afternoon downpour drenched the capital’s Independence Day crowds and Trump’s speech unfolded in occasional rain. The warplanes and presidential aircraft he had summoned conducted their flyovers as planned, capped by the Navy Blue Angels aerobatics team. By adding his own, one-hour “Salute to America” production to capital festivities that typically draw hundreds of thousands anyway, Trump became the first president in nearly seven decades to address a crowd at the National Mall on the Fourth of July. Protesters objecting to what they saw as his co-opting of the holiday inflated a roly-poly balloonHere's the full story.

Here's why you should get this full premium article:
- Continue reading this premium article and other exclusive politics articles on multiple devices.
- Get in-depth analysis, award-winning news content and more.
- Enjoy all day, all year unlimited access on Politicoscope.com.
* Best of all: Save more on unlimited premium content. Less on-site advertising. Limited time offers. Cancel anytime.
Log In Sign Up
Donald Trump USA News Today

“The court reaffirmed what has been settled for decades: that asylum-seekers who enter this country have a right to be free from arbitrary detention,” Matt Adams, legal director of the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, said in a written statement. “Thousands of asylum-seekers will continue to be able to seek release on bond, as they seek protection from persecution and torture.”Here's the full story.

Donald Trump - USA Headlines Story Now

“We have some incredible equipment, military equipment on display — brand new,” Donald Trump said. “And we’re very proud of it. You know we’re making a lot of new tanks right now. We’re building a lot of new tanks in Lima, Ohio — our great tank factory that people wanted to close down until I got elected and I stopped it from being closed down, and now it’s a very productive facility.”Here's the full story.