Syria Army - Syrian News Headline Today

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily curated newsletter to receive the latest of Politicoscope top politics stories delivered to your email inbox.

Syrian government forces on Wednesday closed in on a rebel-held town in Idlib that was bombed with sarin in 2017, sources on both sides said, building on their Russian-backed gains since the collapse of a ceasefire this month.

The advance towards Khan Sheikhoun threatens to encircle the last remaining pocket of rebel-held territory in neighbouring Hama province, including the towns of Morek, Kafr Zeita and Latamneh.

Russian-backed Syrian government forces seized new positions from rebels to the west of the town of Khan Sheihkoun, rebel sources and state media said. A rebel commander said the town, in opposition hands since 2014, was in “great danger”.

Government forces were now 4 km (2.5 miles) from Khan Sheikhoun, Rami Abdulrahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said.

The sarin gas attack on Khan Sheikhoun in 2017 killed dozens of people and prompted President Donald Trump to order a missile strike against the Syrian air base from where the United States said the attack had been launched.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily curated newsletter to receive the latest exclusive Politicoscope coverage delivered to your email inbox.

An investigation conducted by the United Nations and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said the Syrian government was responsible for releasing sarin on the town on April 4, 2017. Damascus denies using such weapons.

The northwestern Idlib region is part of the last major stronghold of the opposition to President Bashar al-Assad. The rebels that control it include the powerful jihadist group Tahrir al-Sham and Turkey-backed factions.

Assad’s side had struggled to make any gains in the area in an offensive that got under way in late April. But since the collapse of a brief ceasefire this month, it has managed to take several significant positions, including the town of al-Habeet on Saturday.

The humanitarian adviser to the U.N. Special Envoy for Syria said the new surge in violence in the northwest threatened the lives of millions after more than 500 civilians were killed since late April.

Thank you for visiting Politicoscope.com. Was this information helpful?
+ Share it with friends or Leave your comment below.
+ Subscribe for content like this and more.
+ Submit news or tips.
You May Also Like:   Crimean Prime Minister Sergei Aksyonov to Visit Syria

Donate

Donate now to help us provide more story like this.



More Donation Options

* Here are other Donation options for you.

* For Premium News readers, you can register here today.

Donate

Donate now to help us provide more story like this.



More Donation Options

* Here are other Donation options for you.

* For Premium News readers, you can register here today.

Leave a Reply