TRENDING TOPICS: Biography and Profile > Stephen Barclay > Stephen Barclay Biography and Profile > Stephen Paul Barclay > UK
Stephen Barclay was born on 3 May 1972 in Lytham, Lancashire. Stephen Paul Barclay a Leave-backing Conservative Party politician in the United Kingdom serving as Member of Parliament for North East Cambridgeshire since 2010. He was appointed By UK Prime Minister Theresa May as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union on 16 November 2018, following the resignation of Dominic Raab.
Stephen was previously Minister of State for the Department of Health and Social Care from January to November 2018. Stephen was also previously Economic Secretary to the Treasury from June 2017 to January 2018.
He served as a Government Whip (Lord Commissioner of HM Treasury) from July 2016 to June 2017. He was elected Conservative MP for North East Cambridgeshire in May 2010.
Stephen Barclay Full Biography and Profile
Stephen was educated at King Edward VII School in Lytham St. Annes Lancashire before reading history at Peterhouse, Cambridge. He later studied law at the College of Law, Chester.
Stephen Barclay spent his first four years in Parliament as a member of the Public Accounts Committee. He became a Government Whip in 2015 covering a range of departments over two years including the Treasury, Department for Business, Department for Exiting the European Union and the Scotland Office.
Stephen Barclay a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues voteD the same way as other Conservative MPs. However, Stephen Barclay sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as: Stephen Barclay voted against investigations into the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for.
Stephen Barclay was appointed Economic Secretary to the Treasury responsible for financial services in 2017 and then Minister of State for the Department of Health and Social Care in 2018.
Career Outside Politics
Stephen qualified as a solicitor in 1998. He worked as an insurance company lawyer for Axa Insurance, as a regulator for the Financial Services Authority, and as Director of Regulatory Affairs and then Head of Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions at Barclays Retail Bank.
Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union
The Secretary of State is responsible for the work of the Department for Exiting the European Union.
- Policy work to support the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union and to establish the future relationship between the EU and the UK
- Conducting the negotiations in support of the Prime Minister including supporting bilateral discussions on EU exit with other European countries
- Working closely with the UK’s devolved administrations, Parliament, and a wide range of other interested parties on the approach to negotiations
- Leading and co-ordinating cross-government work to seize the opportunities and ensure a smooth process of exit on the best possible terms
Summary Topics of interest
Stephen Barclay campaigned to leave the European Union Source: BBC.
- Home Department
- Home Office
- Departmental Procurement
- Senior Civil Servants
- Departmental Dismissal
- Departmental Expenditure
Currently held offices
- Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care) (since 9 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (14 Jun 2017 to 9 Jan 2018)
- Government Whip (17 Jul 2016 to 14 Jun 2017)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (13 May 2015 to 17 Jul 2016)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 23 Jun 2014)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
- Has spoken in 43 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.66% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. “she sells seashells”) 197 times in debates — average amongst MPs.
Stephen Barclay Family
Stephen Barclay lives just outside Wisbech in Cambridgeshire with his wife and two children.
– Stephen Barclay Biography and Profile