Jamal Khashoggi was killed by “strangulation” immediately after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, a Turkish prosecutor has confirmed, adding that his body was “cut into pieces’ after the murder.
The dissident reporter disappeared after going to the the diplomatic mission on October 2. After denying his death and the knowledge of his whereabouts for days, Riyadh admitted that Jamal Khashoggi died it was a result of a ‘fist fight.’
Now the office of the Chief Istanbul Prosecutor Irfan Fidan says Jamal Khashoggi was strangled as soon as he entered the diplomatic compound as part of a premeditated killing.
This is the first official confirmation of the murder made by the Turkish officials.
The statement came short of accusing the Saudis of non-cooperation talking about meeting of the Saudi Chief Prosecutor Saud al-Mojeb and his entourage with Turkish law enforcement authorities earlier this week.
“Despite all our well-intentioned efforts to uncover the truth, we have not achieved any concrete results,” the statement said referring to the talks, as cited by the local media.
Ankara also demanded extradition of all suspects in this case, arguing that the journalist was killed on the Turkish territory and the investigation of this case thus falls within the jurisdiction of the Turkish authorities.
Saudi Arabia detained 18 Saudi nationals suspected of being involved in the journalist’s murder, maintaining the Kingdom itself would try the suspects and bring them to justice after the investigation was finished.