Subscribe to News Like This
Marcia Fudge was born on 29 October 1952. Marcia Louise Fudge an American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Ohio’s 11th congressional district since 2008.
A member of the Democratic Party, Marcia Fudge won a special election to succeed Stephanie Tubbs Jones, who died in office.
Marcia Louise Fudge Full Biography and Profile
Congresswoman Marcia L. Fudge is a committed public servant who brings a hard-working, problem-solving spirit to Congress and to the task of creating jobs, protecting safety net programs, and improving access to quality public education, health care and healthy foods. First elected in 2008, she represents the people of the 11th Congressional District of Ohio.
Congresswoman Fudge serves on the House Committee on Agriculture and the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. She is the Ranking Member on the House Committee on Agriculture Subcommittee on Conservation and Forestry.
In the 114th Congress, the Member served as Ranking Member on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education. She is also a member of several Congressional Caucuses and a past Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.
Congresswoman Fudge consistently fights for equitable access to a quality education from preschool through post-secondary programs, child nutrition, food stamp (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) recipients, access to locally grown, healthy foods, fair labor practices, and civil and human rights, among other issues.
Additionally, she was an early and consistent voice for voter protection and remains a steadfast advocate to strengthen and preserve Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
Congresswoman Fudge has served the people of Ohio for more than two decades, beginning with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office. She was the first African American and the first female mayor of Warrensville Heights, Ohio, where she led the city in shoring up a sagging retail base and providing new residential construction.
Congresswoman Fudge earned her bachelor’s degree in business from The Ohio State University and law degree from the Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall School of Law. She is a Past National President of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and a member of the Greater Cleveland Alumnae Chapter.
Congresswoman Fudge’s work ethic, problem solving approach, and ability to build collaborative relationships has earned her a reputation among her colleagues in Washington and at home as an insightful leader and knowledgeable legislator. As a dedicated public servant, she begins each morning with a firm promise “to do the people’s work.”
It is this simple philosophy that defines Congresswoman Fudge as a Member of substance and character who always keeps her promise.
Congresswoman Fudge proudly serves on the following Congressional committees:
Subcommittee on Conservation and Forestry – Ranking Member
This subcommittee has jurisdiction over policies and statutes relating to resource conservation, forestry, and all forests.
Subcommittee on Nutrition
This subcommittee has jurisdiction over policies and statutes relating to nutrition, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps) and domestic commodity distribution, and consumer initiatives.
Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education
This subcommittee has jurisdiction over education from early learning through the high school level including, but not limited to:
- Elementary and secondary education, special education, homeless education, and migrant education;
- Overseas dependent schools;
- Career and technical education;
- School safety and alcohol and drug abuse prevention;
- School lunch and child nutrition programs;
- Educational research and improvement including the Institute of Education Sciences;
- Environmental education;
- Pre-service and in-service teacher professional development including Title II of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Title II of the Higher Education Act;
- Early care and education programs including the Head Start Act and the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act;
- Adolescent development and training programs including, but not limited to, those providing for the care and treatment of certain at-risk youth including the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act and the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act;
- All matters dealing with child abuse and domestic violence including the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act and child adoption.
Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions (HELP)
This subcommittee has jurisdiction over all matters dealing with relationships between employers and employees including, but not limited to, the National Labor Relations Act, the Labor-Management Relations Act, and the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; the Bureau of Labor Statistics; and employment-related health and retirement security including pension, health, and other employee benefits and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
US Representative, 11th Congressional District Ohio
- 2nd African-American Female elected in the state of Ohio
Mayor, Warrensville Heights, Ohio
- 52 Completed infrastructure, commercial and residential development projects
- $500 million in new development
- Over 3,000 new jobs impacting Warrensville Heights and Greater Cleveland economy
- Over 200 new homes built
Chief of Staff, Hon. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, 11th Congressional District of Ohio, U.S. House of Representatives
- Established office, hired and managed staff, and helped navigate Capitol Hill with then freshman Congresswoman Tubbs Jones
- Investigated and recommended national, regional and local issues and positions
- Managed and addressed constituent concerns and needs
Public Finance Responsibilities
- Director, Cuyahoga County Personal Property Tax Department
- Director, Budget and Finance, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
- Director, Cuyahoga County Budget Commission
- Deputy Cuyahoga County Auditor, Estate Tax Department
Judicial and Legal Experience
- Visiting Referee and Acting Judge, Bedford Municipal Court, Cuyahoga County
- Solo Practitioner, specializing in estate, trust, business and non-profit law
Affiliations, Honors & Awards
- Shaker Heights High School Alumni Hall of Fame in 2003
- AIPAC Mission-Israel: Met with leaders of Knesset, religious leaders, scholars and citizens, 2008
- Cuyahoga County Mayors and Managers: Former Executive Committee Member
- Former Board Member: Cleveland Public Library; Alcoa Aluminum; Judge Lloyd O. Brown Scholarship Committee
- Norman S. Minor Bar Association, Trailblazer of the Year Award, 2005
- Russell T. Adrine Citizen of the Year Award, 2005
- Patricia Roberts Harris Medallion (National) Award for Excellence in Government Service, 2007
- Who’s Who in Black Cleveland, 2004-05 and 2005-06
- Municipal Leader of the Year, NEO (Northeast Ohio) Municipal Leader Magazine, 2007
- 21st National President, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., 1996 – 2000; Co-Chair, National Social Action Commission, 2000 – 2004
- Marcia Louise Fudge Biography and Profile